In recent years, the name Syria has been in the headlines, linked to stories of war and internal unrest. Images of a war-torn country filled almost every daily newscast, and most of us could only hope it would stop soon.
With all these stories about a country in the midst of war, it’s easy to forget what Syria is – an important piece of our history with an abundance of ancient structures that you won’t find anywhere else. You will even find several Syrian cities in the Bible, which shows that this country dates back to ancient times.
Syria could have been the perfect travel destination for history buffs, but with the constant stories of action taking place in the country, most travelers tend to avoid it.
If you are one of the few who have all your doubts and worries about a country that is slowly getting back on its feet after years of constant fear and pain, keep reading.
This article will help you learn more about how to apply for a tourist visa to Syria, especially if you are in possession of a British passport.
Requirements for a tourist visa to Syria
- Your current passport, valid for 6 months on presentation and must have two blank pages
- passport size photos 2 colors
- 2 copies of the visa form, completed and signed
- Letter from your current employer on letterhead, confirming that you are employed by the company and your position
- Copy of your utility bill, House tax, landline or internet bill stating Your Name and home address
- Make your hotel reservation in Syria or if you are visiting someone, enter their name, full address and contact number
- Fees for Visa
If you are unemployed, a letter from the employment center or a letter of all benefits you will receive.
If you are a student, a letter from your school or a photocopy of your school identity card.
If you are self-employed, you can suggest one of the following:
- Your last bank statement with your name, company name and address
- A letter on company letterhead explaining the nature of your business and your role in it
- Your HM Revenue and Customs self-assessment form
Step-by-step procedure for applying for a tourist visa to Syria
1. Fill out the online form and print it as a PDF (be sure to provide answers to all spaces on the form otherwise it will not be submitted)
2. Collect all the necessary documents and attach them to the form
3. Apply in person or by mail
Frequently Asked Questions About Visiting Syria
1. How long does it take for my tourist visa to be processed?
According to the website of the Syrian embassy, visa applications can take about 6 working days.
2. How long is my Syria tourist visa valid?
A single-entry visa for Syria will allow a British passport holder to stay in the country for 3 months, while a multiple-entry visa will allow a stay of 6 months.
Irish passport holders, on the other hand, are allowed to stay for 1 month on a single-entry visa and 6 months on a multiple-entry visa.
Please note that visas are valid from the date of issue.